The Sloan Firm knows how bicycle accidents cause devastating injuries, especially when they involve children. That is why we sponsor Heads in Helmets in Texas. The charity provides free bike helmets to thousands of children every year in communities such as Houston and Longview. If a car hits a child while riding a bicycle, a helmet could keep the child from suffering traumatic brain injury (TBI) and save the child’s life.
In addition to promoting safety, our lawyers protect the legal rights of cyclists of all ages throughout East Texas and from our office in Santa Fe, New Mexico. If a negligent driver hit you or a loved one, you can count on us to work hard for you and seek the compensation you deserve. What matters to you, matters to us.
Put more than 150 years of combined legal experience on your side today. Get in touch with The Sloan Firm to learn more about your legal options after a bike accident and to discuss how we can help you. Our initial consultations are always free.
Why Did Your Bicycle Accident Happen?
Our Longview bike accident lawyers will put investigators on your case right away. They can inspect the accident scene, take photos, interview witnesses and collect other important evidence. Our law firm may also consult with accident reconstruction experts. We want to know why your bike crash happened – and who should be held responsible for it.
In most cases, negligent drivers cause bike accidents in East Texas. Our bike accident lawyers often see crashes that result from driver inattention, distraction, alcohol impairment and speeding. In many situations, drivers simply refuse to respect cyclists’ rights to share the road.
The most common types of bicycle accidents that The Sloan Firm handles involve negligence such as:
- Right cross – A driver emerges from a driveway, parking lot or side street and goes right into the path of a cyclist.
- Left cross – A driver and cyclist approach an intersection from opposite directions, and the driver fails to yield and turns left into the cyclist’s path.
- Right hook – A driver who is ahead of a cyclist turns right at an intersection or moves into the cyclist’s lane (typically without using a turn signal).
- Backovers – A driver backs out of a driveway or parking space without looking and hits a cyclist.
- Tailgating – A driver follows dangerously close to a cyclist, leaving the no chance to avoid a collision if the cyclist needs to stop or swerve in order to avoid a pothole or other obstacle in the road.
- Dooring – A driver who is parked on a street opens his or her car door directly in the cyclist’s path.
- Buzzing – A driver carelessly or intentionally passes dangerously close to a cyclist, often running the cyclist off the road. As Bike Texas points out, car drivers should leave at least three feet of space for cyclists, while commercial truck drivers should leave six feet of space.
Of course, drivers often try to blame cyclists for these accidents. They may claim that the cyclist failed to yield or drove on the wrong side of the road. They may also insist that they could not see a cyclist because the cyclist failed to wear bright clothing or use a bicycle light.
Under Texas law, you can still recover damages in a bike accident lawsuit even if you were partially responsible for it. Your compensation would be reduced according to the percentage of fault assigned to you. You would be barred from a recovery only if you were “51 percent” or more at fault. The Sloan Firm will thoroughly investigate the cause of your bike crash in order to defeat any wrongful attempts to blame you for your bike crash.
What Legal Options Do You Have After a Bike Accident?
The Sloan Firm wants to maximize your financial recovery after you or a loved one gets into a bike accident. We know that you will need those funds to move on with your life. In order to secure those funds for you, we will turn to all available sources of compensation. In your case, those sources may include:
- The at-fault driver’s liability insurance – If you get hit by a car while riding a bike, the negligent driver’s liability insurance should pay for your damages. Texas law requires drivers to carry this insurance. The driver should also pay for your bike damage and other property losses.
- Your own insurance – We can review your own auto insurance policy, which can cover your losses in a bike accident. For instance, underinsured motorist (UIM) insurance can pay the difference between what the at-fault driver’s insurance pays and your total damages (or up to your policy’s limits). Unfortunately, many cyclists get injured by hit-and-run drivers. If this happened to you or a loved one, we can turn to your uninsured motorist (UM) policy.
- Third-party claims – The at-fault driver may not be the only party responsible for your bike accident injuries. The driver’s employer, for instance, may be on the hook. If a drunk driver hit you, a store, bar or restaurant who sold alcohol to the driver could be held responsible.
What Compensation Can You Recover After a Bike Wreck?
Bike accident injuries can be life-changing. We often work with cyclists in East Texas who suffered severe injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord damage
- Multiple broken bones
- Burns (or “road rash”)
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Soft tissue injuries (typically in the knees, ankles and wrists).
The Sloan Firm knows how the costs of treating those injuries can be astronomical. We will review all of your medical records and consult with doctors, life-care planners and other experts in order to determine your past medical expenses and the costs of any future medical care that you or your loved one will need. We will seek a full recovery for all those expenses. Additionally, when we seek compensation for you after a bicycle accident, we will pursue damages that include:
- Lost income and diminished future earning ability
- Loss of services
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of care and companionship.
If your loved one died in a bicycle accident, we will pursue all compensation available to you through a wrongful death claim. Those damages can cover funeral and burial costs and the loss of your loved one’s financial support.
Get Help Today from Our Longview Bike Accident Attorneys
The Sloan Firm often obtains settlements for clients who are hurt in bike accidents. We can obtain the settlement before a case goes to trial or even before a lawsuit needs to be filed. However, if a settlement offer does not meet your needs and goals, we will be prepared to go trial for you and fight for what you deserve.
At The Sloan Firm, our clients’ rights and interests are our top priority. When we work with you, we will get to know what is important to you and do everything we can to pursue your objectives. We see the person behind the injury. We want to make sure you get the funds you need to move on with your life.
To discuss your case in a free consultation and learn more about how our Longview bicycle accident lawyers can help you, just call or reach us online today.