Some of the worst personal injuries result from crashes that involve tractor-trailers and other heavy trucks – and it’s usually the occupants of the smaller vehicle who fare worse. The reason for this is simple physics. Passenger vehicles are much smaller and lighter than commercial trucks, and their structure is no match for the mass of an 80,000-pound big rig.
If you have suffered severe injuries in a collision with a heavy truck in Longview or elsewhere in East Texas, you need help from an experienced truck accident lawyer who understands what you’ve been through and is ready fight for your rights and interests.
At the Sloan Firm, what matters to you matters to us. We take pride in providing personalized, client-centered representation for people who are seriously injured. We are prepared to tackle even the toughest situations like complex truck accidents. We have the legal skills you need in your case, whether it’s straightforward or complicated.
When you consult with a trucking accident injury lawyer at the Sloan Firm, we will take the time to review your case thoroughly, analyze the accident and police reports, review logbooks and “black box” recorders, speak with insurance companies, interview eyewitnesses and help you determine how best to proceed. Our interest is in you and your recovery.
Injured in a Collision with a Tractor-Trailer? Here’s How We Can Help
We are here to help people who have been hurt in crashes caused by careless truck drivers and trucking companies. After a wreck, it is normal to feel anxious about the future. How will you pay your medical bills? When can you go back to work? What if you can never work again or must take a lower-paying job? How will you pay to fix or replace your car? Is your case worth taking to court?
These are serious issues, and our legal team is here to help you seek the best solution for the unique circumstances of your case.
We are ready to gather information from you, police and witnesses about the crash, and deal with insurance companies on your behalf to manage your claim. Truck accidents are often more complex than other crashes. It may be necessary to work with investigators to review logbooks, maintenance records, data from event recorders and other information. One thing is for certain, if the Sloan Firm is on the case, you can focus on recovering and minimizing extra stress.
Injuries Commonly Suffered in Truck Crashes
Accidents involving tractor-trailers and other large trucks all too frequently result in death. If the victims survive the collision, they are often left to cope with serious, long-term and debilitating injuries. Some of the most severe injuries seen in truck accidents include paralyzing spinal cord injuries, internal bleeding and organ damage, traumatic brain injuries, fractures and crush injuries, and severe burns.
Some injuries, like fractures, will likely be immediately apparent in most cases. But you could have other injuries that don’t show signs at first, such as a hemorrhage or a TBI. It is important to get a full medical exam as soon as possible after being involved in a crash with a truck.
Among the most common truck accident injuries are:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) – Brain damage may result from either open-head trauma (when the skull is penetrated) or closed-head injuries. Truck crashes can cause brain injuries that result from bleeding inside the skull. Swelling and bleeding, as well as physical trauma, can damage the structure of the brain, resulting in long-lasting changes in personality, mood and thinking ability.
- Spinal cord injuries – The spinal cord is the connection that allows the brain and the rest of the body to communicate. When a truck accident causes damage to the spinal cord, paralysis may result. Depending on where the spine is damaged, the injury may cause paraplegia, which affects the lower part of the body, or quadriplegia (tetraplegia), which impairs motor function in all four limbs. Injuries to the spine often necessitate lifelong medical and assistive care that can cost millions of dollars in total.
- Spine and back injuries – Even if the spinal cord itself is left unharmed, injuries to the bone and tissue in the spine and back can still cause significant pain and impairment. Broken vertebrae, slipped discs, torn soft tissue, nerve damage and other back injuries are common in collisions with trucks.
- Neck injuries and whiplash – The extreme forces in a truck crash can cause a broken neck or damage to the muscles, joints and ligaments in the neck. These injuries often occur in truck crashes when the impact causes the head and neck to snap forward, hitting windows, windshields or airbags. Whiplash may occur even if your head doesn’t strike anything.
- Broken bones and joint injuries – Virtually any type of fracture may result from a truck crash, including broken arms, broken legs, broken facial bones, broken ribs, a broken pelvis, broken vertebrae, a broken sternum and more. Joints such as the knee, shoulder, elbow, wrist and ankle are also vulnerable in truck crashes. Casts, surgery and physical therapy are often required to treat broken bones and damaged joints. Some orthopedic injuries never completely heal, leaving the patient with lifelong disability.
Types of Compensation You Could Receive for Your Truck Crash Injuries
The results of a serious truck accident can last a lifetime, not only for the victim, but also for his or her loved ones. There are often significant and lasting expenses for medical care and rehabilitation.
Many truck accident victims are no longer able to perform their old job or even work of any kind. You may need assistance with simple, everyday tasks. You may suffer from chronic pain or disfigurement, or have difficulty focusing.
At the Sloan Firm, we see the person behind the injury. If you have medical bills or other expenses related to the truck accident piling up, we want to help. The type of compensation available depends on the severity and type of your injuries, and it can include:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Lost earning capacity
- Lost wages
Why Get Help with Your Truck Crash Case from the Sloan Firm?
It is important that you seek counsel from a knowledgeable lawyer at our firm. We can help you protect your rights and interests.
What matters to you matters to us. We know how expensive medical bills and car repair bills can be. Our objective is to provide you with the aggressive legal representation you need.
Contact us at our office in Longview, Houston or Santa Fe if you or a loved one has sustained serious truck accident injuries caused by someone else’s carelessness. The initial consultation is free of charge and free of risk and obligations.