After your free initial consultation, Sloan Firm can start work right away on your truck accident claim. The many services we can provide include:
Conducting a prompt, thorough investigation of your truck crash.We will quickly preserve, collect and analyze evidence such as:
- Photos of the accident scene, showing fresh skid marks and debris
- The tractor-trailer (in the condition it was in at the time of crash)
- The trucker’s written or electronic log, showing how many hours the trucker had been on the road prior to the crash
- Bills of lading and other shipping documents
- The truck’s electronic data recorder (EDR, or “black box”)
- Trucking company vehicle inspection and maintenance records
- Hiring, training and supervision records
- Eyewitness statements
- The driver’s cell phone records
- The driver’s breath, blood or urine test results.
At Sloan Firm, we know how to handle thorough truck accident investigations, including accidents that involve jackknifing or underride collisions. We also work with engineers, accident reconstruction specialists and other experts who can help us to determine the cause of your crash. Some of the common causes of truck accidents include:
- Speeding and aggressive driving by the truck driver
- Drunk driving (or driving while impaired by drugs)
- Distracted driving (including texting while driving)
- Fatigued driving (often in violation of FMCSA regulations)
- Inadequately maintained vehicle (due to negligent inspection or lack of repairs)
- Poorly secured or unsecured cargo
- Defective truck or truck parts (including brakes, tires, wheels, hitches and couplings).
Identifying all parties who should be held liable for your damages. In many truck accident cases, a claim is brought against the negligent truck driver who caused the wreck. However, the trucking company may be liable as well based on its driver’s negligence as well as its own negligence such as:
- Failing to conduct a proper background check before hiring a driver
- Poorly training and supervising drivers
- Failing to inspect and repair trucks in its fleet
- Allowing or encouraging drivers to violate trucking regulation
Mechanics, shipping brokers, warehouse operators and others could also be named defendants in a truck accident lawsuit. In some cases, truck or truck part manufacturers, distributors, and retailers may be liable.
Handling all paperwork that your insurance claim or lawsuit requires.While you worry about your recovery, our firm will ensure that all paperwork is properly filed with the insurance companies involved in your case and, if necessary, with the court that would preside over your case. Keep in mind: You must file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit in Texas within two years after a trucking accident. You should meet with The Sloan Firm as soon as possible in order to ensure that our lawyers have ample time to prepare your case for filing.
Seek maximum compensation for you in a settlement or verdict. Our attorneys will identify all potential sources of compensation in your case and seek the maximum amount on your behalf. The damages we may recover for you in your truck accident case could include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income and earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Physical impairment
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Other physical, financial and emotional harm
- Property damage
- Wrongful death truck accident damages in Houston, Santa Fe, and Longview
Trucking companies often try to blame accidents on other drivers. This is because Texas follows a modified comparative fault rule. Under this rule, a person’s compensation is reduced in proportion to the percentage of fault attributed to the person. If a person is 51 percent or more at fault for an accident, he or she can be barred from recovering any damages. The Sloan Firm knows how trucking industry insurance companies work. We will aggressively challenge any attempts to blame you for a collision with a tractor-trailer. We want to ensure you recover all compensation you are due.
Work efficiently to timely disburse the funds owed to you. Regardless of whether we obtain compensation for you through a settlement or a judgment, we will need to take steps to collect and disburse the funds owed to you. We know how important it will be for you to move on with your life and recover from your injury. We will work diligently to resolve all liens attached to your recovery and provide the funds you are due. Contact our team today to learn more about how we can help you.